Friday, July 20, 2012

Creating a New Reverence for Food Preface

  I have decided to undertake a major challenge and tackle a 60 day juice fast.  That's right, 60 days of cozying up to my juicer with a bag of produce, drinking it exclusively, and liking it.  So many people take food for granted, they eat junk because it tastes good or because they have decided that they are to busy to prepare and consume healthful food.  Others hold food in such high regard that they practically worship artisinal, vegan fed, nitrate free, bacon anything.  They are more interested in the culture of food snobbery than the origin and purpose of their food.  My aim is to understand the fundamental nature of food, the interplay of flavors of vegetables, fruits, herbs, and spices as well as the important nutritional role that fruits and vegetables have my body.

  Food, in its purest form is nourishment both for the body and soul, and I am hoping that by completing this juice fast, I can gain a better understanding of the food that I grow and consume.  All the fruits and vegetables that I am going to be juicing are going to be local and organic whenever I can find it.  I will be purchasing the bulk of my ingredients from local farmer markets so that I can have a better understanding of the hard work and passion that goes into the foods that I eat.  I will be documenting my progress here in the form of daily updates (well, most days) as well as photos and recipes of my tastiest juices (as well as produce combinations that just don't work for me).

  I will be regularly consulting a nutritionist in order to monitor my nutritional intake as well as to talk about the effects of the fast on my body.  I will also review the process approximately every two weeks in order to gauge my progress, in case something happens and I can't continue with my journey.  I welcome any and all questions that you might have, as well as any funny comments and words of encouragement for me.  Here's to a journey of culinary enlightenment.

Cheers,

Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment