Sunday, July 22, 2012

Juicing Day 3

It's only day 3, and I think my stomach is submitting to my will.  I woke up today sans headache and/or cravings.  I haven't been hungrier than normal, and I really like the taste of the mostly veggie juices that I've been making.  Although I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop regarding me feeling so great, but it's yet to happen, so I'm hoping it will not happen.  Today's juice of choice was a carrot, watermelon, lemon juice...super tasty and refreshing.

I also met a friend at a French Market to buy more veggies...ended up with great conversation, a bunch of new spices (including a pickling blend, since I've got cucumbers a plenty in my garden), and some dog treats.  I did purchase a couple of fat cucumbers and some rhubarb, which will make some tasty juice, for sure.

I hit up Caputo's on my way back from the market and was pleasantly surprised by the variety and prices of their fruits & veggies.  I was stoked to find golden beets, so I stocked up on those along with some red beets, jicama, lemons, and ginger root.  I will definitely keep them in mind for my juicing needs, especially since there's one just minutes from my house.  I also stopped at our local Woodman's to bite the bullet and get a bag or two of $7.99 a pound organic apples (if you juice apples, pretty pretty please buy organic.  They are uber sprayed with pesticides that penetrate the skin, so even if you wash them to death and skin the apples, you're still imbibing copious amounts of nasty pesticides).  To my surprise and delight, they have granny smith apples on sale for $4.99 for a 3lb bag...I bought 6 bags cause I'm crazy like that.  If you've got a Woodman's by you, I highly suggest checking them out for their diverse produce selection, including a decently sized organic produce section (they also have a fairly extensive organic & gluten free area of the store, which is pretty cool for a local chain).

I felt like a kid in a candy store as I unloaded bag after bag of juiceable produce when I got home.  As soon as my juicer parts are out of the dishwasher (top shelf, of course), I will be firing it up and making an amazingly delicious (I'm guessing) glass of apple juice, which is something that I've been craving since I saw the documentary, "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead."  As I've briefly mentioned before, our family eats pretty darn clean as it is.  We've kicked out the majority of processed foods in our house (with the exception of the occasional bag of whole wheat organic pasta and/or loaf of whole grain sprouted bread), we rarely eat out, and veggies make up the bulk of our dinner plate.  This juice fast has been just another way to simplify eating habits and jump start a routine of even better consumption into our daily lives.  Suffice it to say, I'm going to be incorporating raw, fresh juices into my diet when this juice fast is completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment